Sources Used &
All Church Father quotes used by this website are direct quotes from the authors’ original works as cited. The English translations of all works used on this website can be found in the sources listed below. Most of the Church Father quotes used can be found in The Faith of the Early Fathers by William Jurgens. All of the Church Father quotes concerning Mary, the mother of Christ, are found in Mary and the Fathers of the Church by Luigi Gambero. The specific quotes from St Patrick and Sechnall of Ireland found in The Fathers Know Best by Jimmy Akin. Any complete works provided by this website were taken from The Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, First & Second Series, by Philip Schaff.
- Jurgens, William A. (1979). The Faith of the Early Fathers, Vol. 1-3. The Liturgical Press, Collegeville Minnesota.
- Gambero, Luigi (1999). Mary and the Fathers of the Church: The Blessed Virgin Mary in Patristic Thought. Ignatius Press.
- Akin, Jimmy (2010) The Fathers Know Best: Your Essential Guide to the Teachings of the Early Church. CATHOLIC ANSWERS PRESS; First edition (November 30, 2010)
- Schaff, Philip (1996) Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers: First Series, Volumes I-XIV. Hendrickson Pub; 2nd edition (February 1, 1996)
- Schaff, Philip (1994). Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers: Second Series, Volumes I-XIV. Hendrickson Pub (March 1, 1994)
- Reading the Early Church Fathers: From the Didache to Nicaea by James L. Papandrea
- Martin P. Harney, S.J. (1979). The Legacy of Saint Patrick: As Found in his Own Writings. Boston: St. Paul Editions.
- The Biblical Canon Lists from Early Christianity: Texts and Analysis by Edmon L. Gallagher and John D. Meade
- The Case for the Deuterocanon: Evidence and Arguments by Gary G. Michuta
- Kümmel, Werner George (1975). Introduction to the New Testament. Translated by Kee, Howard Clark (English translation of revised 17th ed.). Nashville: Abdingdon Press
- Gamble, Harry Y. (1985). The New Testament Canon: Its Making and Meaning. Philadelphia: Fortress.
Lindberg, Carter (2006). A Brief History of Christianity. Blackwell Publishing.
- The Earliest Christologies: Five Images of Christ in the Post-Apostolic Age by James L. Papandrea
- Scripture Wars: How Justin Martyr Rescued the Old Testament for Christians by Rod Bennett
- Hostile Witnesses: How the Ancient Enemies of the Church Prove Christianity by Gary Michuta
- Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist: Unlocking the Secrets of the Last Supper by Brant Pitre
- Jesus and the Jewish Roots of Mary: Unveiling the Mother of the Messiah by Brant Pitre
- Jesus and the Old Testament Roots of the Priesthood by John Bergsma
- Jesus and the Dead Sea Scrolls: Revealing the Jewish Roots of Christianity by John Bergsma
- The Mass of the Early Christians by Mike Aquilina
- Signs and Mysteries: Revealing Ancient Christian Symbols by Mike Aquilina
- St. Peter’s Bones: How the Relics of the First Pope were Lost and Found… by Thomas J. Craughwell
- History of the Catholic Church: From the Apostolic Age to the Third Millennium by James Hitchcock
- Timeless: A History of the Catholic Church by Steve Weidenkopf
- Mary in the Middle Ages: The Blessed Virgin Mary in the Thought of Medieval Latin Theologians by Luigi Gambero
- The Age of Reform, 1250-1550: An Intellectual and Religious History of Late Medieval and Reformation Europe by Steven Ozment
- The Reformation: A History by Diarmaid MacCulloch
- The Spirit and Forms of Protestantism by Louis Bouyer
- Adultery and Divorce in Calvin’s Geneva by Robert M. Kingdon
- What Saint Paul Really Said: Was Paul of Tarsus the Real Founder of Christianity? By N.T. Wright
- An Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine by Cardinal John Henry Newman
- Summa of the Summa: The Essential Philosophical Passages of St. Thomas Aquinas’ Summa Theologica by Peter Kreeft
- Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith by Bishop Robert Barron